Footnote: President's Message page is a "throw-back" to the original T-Bird Times newsletter.
MILES DRIVEN AWARD
Trophy Award History
The idea for a ”most miles driven” trophy began back in 2006. Then VCTC President, Fred Schmoyer thought it would be fun to have a friendly competition to promote driving of our classics. Our trophy was designed and crafted by club members George Lake and Fred Schmoyer.
Mileage is tracked for Classic Tbirds driven to club events simply by noting the mileage from member’s home to the club meeting location using Google Maps. The noted mileage is doubled to create a round-trip total and then tabulated. The club member who travels the most miles for the year has their name placed on the trophy and is awarded The Trophy for a year.
CURRENT YEAR TOTALS
- Usually, plan for guests to arrive by 1130 with things kicking off at 1200. It’s best if there is a dedicated/designated parking area for those driving classic and retro Tbirds. If meeting at a restaurant, the business management can often help identify and reserve a suitable area. When weather cooperates, we can have 10 or more classics at the event. Hosts should plan to arrive a bit early to confirm plans with the restaurant and direct parking.
- For planning, usually 20-40 members attend our monthly events. If a head count is desired in advance, email notices can be sent requesting RSVP from those planning to attend. (Club officers will help with that.) Ideally, the meeting would be held in a room large enough to seat everyone comfortably. If in a restaurant, it’s best (though not required) if the area is separated in some way from other customers to facilitate group discussion and business.
- Options for lunch can vary depending on the venue. Regardless of choice, hosts should talk to restaurant management to inform them of the overall plan and coordinate necessary details. Ordering and paying individually from the standard menu is one option. If going this route, it’s best to coordinate with restaurant management to make ordering and serving go smoothly without excessive delay. Selecting menu items in advance or catering a buffet line is another possibility. Another option depending on the venue is to determine/provide the main course and have attendees contribute to the meal by bringing a dish to share. Generally, try to keep costs for lunch under $20 per person. Meeting hosts can collect lunch fees from guests as they arrive, or guests can pay checks individually after lunch depending on which option was used.
- At the meeting site, you can expect the club President to discuss the plan and manage timing to briefly conduct VCTC business and make any pertinent announcements prior to serving lunch. This business generally takes less than 15 minutes. When complete, lunch is served and expect the rest of the day to go smoothly as the servers do their thing and attendees can continue mixing, meeting and eating.
- As an after-lunch option, consider if there are additional activities available at, or near the meeting location which can be visited following lunch. While not required, this can provide opportunities for attendees to visit places they otherwise would not have known about.
TIPS FOR HOSTING AN EVENT
** Tips for Hosting **
See Below President's Message
Classic Thunderbird Club International Chapter #36
Brenda Morrison / Carrie Hillman
Bill Brown & Stan Hostetler
Bill is a multiple winner (4 times)
and has the highest mileage total!
** If you are interested in hosting a monthly club meeting, contact ** Activities Coordinator: Lynn Hillman @ email@example.com
August 27th: Hosted by Lee & Stan Hostetler More info coming soon!
Presidents Report July 2022
What better way to celebrate the 4th of July but with a Parade? This year Linda and I were invited to participate in the Governor’s Land parade in Williamsburg. There were 4 T-birds scheduled to show but the battery bug-a-boo hit Steve Patterson’s 55 and was unable to start. The other members were Eric and Susan Thorson (57 Dust Rose), Paul Treolo (56 Peacock Blue) and Bill and Linda Brown (55 Tbird Blue). This was fun, fun, fun time and I hope all of you had an opportunity to celebrate Independence Day in your birds.
I would like to takto e a moment thank Steve and Nancy Wigley once again for an awesome pool party. The BBQ and Low Country Boil was great, and the saltwater pool was delightfully refreshing. We had 9 Classics and 5 Retros fly in for the event. Steve Wigley was kind enough to share his juggling routine with the members and we thoroughly enjoyed the show.
Our next scheduled meeting will be hosted by Stan and Lee Hostetler on Saturday, 27 August. The event, in the planning stages, to be held at the Independence Golf Club, 600 Founders Bridge Blvd, Midlothian, VA. More information will be coming soon.
Save the date on your calendar, Saturday, September 17th for our monthly meeting. This event will be hosted by Bill and Linda Brown. More details will be provided at the August meeting.
We still have two months that need hosts including October, and November. Hosting is fun and easy. We have a “How To” checklist on the webpage if you need assistance. We have many members who have hosted in the past that you might consider teaming up to make it even easier. If you are interested in hosting, please contact Lynn Hillman, Activities Coordinator, at: Im_hillman@mac.com.
Here a few tidbits for the month of July concerning the history of the Retros birds (no notable events recorded for the Classics):
7/7/2001- The Mystery Tour kicks off for the Retros
7/26/2001- First Retros delivery reported in Ohio
7/1/2005- The last Retros rolled off the assembly line
REMEMBER, IT’S ALL ABOUT FUN X 3!
PLEASE NOTE THE NEW DATE FOR AUGUST!
September 17th: Hosted by Linda & Bill Brown More info coming soon!
The Davidson's April 2009
The Most Tbirds at a Club Event 20 Classics & 4 Retros
Thunderbird Appreciation Day 2019
1st Award Winner
Russ Dolbear & Fred Schmoyer
October 25-30: CTCI International Convention in San Antonio, Texas
Photo taken at Graves Mt. Lodge Syria, VA 2008
Note: Click on photos to enlarge and see more.
December : hosted by Lyn & Ron Padrick (date & location TBD)
PAST AWARD WINNERS
2007 Alice & Russ Dolbear
2008 Alice & Russ Dolbear
2009 Linda & Bill Brown
2010 Linda & Bill Brown
2011 Peg & Gene Marianetti
2012 Sue & Steve Patterson
2013 Nancy & Fred Schmoyer
2014 Carrie & Lynn Hillman
2015 Nancy & Fred Schmoyer
2016 Linda & Bill Brown
2017 Peg & Gene Marianetti
2018 Paula & Eric Best
2019 Lee & Stan Hostetler
2020 Defered - pandemic2021 Linda & Bill Brown 510
Dedicated to the enjoyment, restoration, and preservation of the Classic Thunderbirds 1955,1956, and 1957